Sunday, February 22, 2009

Larry H Miller


In the few day's since the passing of Larry H. Miller, owner of the Utah Jazz, I have been very busy trying to do my best to tell this important story.

I had a few minutes last night to reflect on his personal impact on my life.

Without Larry, and we all called him that, (I called him Mr. Miller, just once and he shook my hand and said, I'm Larry) I would have never had the opportunity to take photos of my first professional NBA game. I would have never had a chance to photograph my first NBA finals, and I truly believe that without his great vision in putting Salt Lake City, and Utah on the professional sporting scene, the 2002 Winter Olympics would have never come to Utah.

I sent a short email to his son Greg, whom I recently photographed when he took over from his father as CEO, expressing my condolences on his loss. I shared with him that I too had lost my own father at a relatively young age and that it was difficult, but I found myself thinking of him often and the wisdom he had taught me.

Greg's father Larry touched a lot of lives, many more than he ever imagined. I count myself as one of the lucky ones. Rest in peace Larry and may your family find comfort and peace at this time.

Here are a few images that I took at the morning shootaround for the Jazz as they recalled memories of their owner and friend. 




Memhet Okur, Utah Jazz (above)
Deron Williams, Utah Jazz (below)

Matt Harpring of the Utah Jazz (below)

Jerry Sloan, coach of the Utah Jazz, gets emotional while talking about Larry H. Miller (below)

No comments: